Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Mr.and mrs.acres were both over 65 last year before mr.acres

Customer Question

mr.and mrs.acres were both over 65 last year before mr.acres died last year they have no dependents . list the personal exemptions that mrs. acres may claim this year's tax return
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If your spouse died during the year, you are considered married for the whole year for filing status purposes.
If you did not remarry before the end of the tax year, you can file a joint return for yourself and your deceased spouse.

You can choose married filing separately as your filing status if you are married.

If you remarried before the end of the tax year, you can file a joint return with your new spouse. Your deceased spouse's filing status is married filing separately for that year.

Regarding personal exemptions - depending on the filing status it may be 2 (joint return) or 1.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Does that answer your question?

.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with the answer to your specific question, i.e., number of exemptions Mrs. Acres may claim for THIS YEAR.

Since Mr. Acres died last year, Mrs. Acres may claim one exemption (for herself) this year.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Barb