Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I've never had earned income in the U.S., ands never filed a

Customer Question

I've never had earned income in the U.S., ands never filed a tax return. I live and work in another country and file my tax returns there. Do I still need to file a U.S. tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien (Green Card holder) living or traveling outside the United States, you generally are required to file income tax returns, estate tax returns, and gift tax returns and pay estimated tax in the same way as those residing in the United States.

Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file a return.

You are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay federal income tax if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and on the regular due date of your return:

• You are living outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or

• You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico.​​

You still need to file but you can use different ways to either exclude earned income or claim a credit for taxes paid in the other country.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Are you a US citizen?