PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

Can I file an amended tax return 1040X 2013, I had at that

Customer Question

can I file an amended tax return 1040X for 2012 2013, for dependents I had at that time that didn't live in the US, Canada or Mexico. they now have green cards and I claimed them on my 2014 taxes.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

A child does not have to live with you to qualify as a dependent.

from IRS.gov:

You generally cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. However, there is an exception for certain adopted children.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

If you were resident in the US, and are looking into dependents who did not live with you, have green cards or reside in Canada, US or Mexico, you are probably out of luck for those prior years. You did not mention children as the dependents in question, I just assumed.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Barring other facts, prior year amendment would be inappropriate. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its my wife and stepson at the time they didn't have a greencard during the 2012 2013 years and I owe taxes for those years. would like to know if I can amend tax returns those years
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

you can amend and claim your wife as a dependent. In fact, you can file married joint. Green card is not needed to amend.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---Nonresident-Alien-Spouse covers hos to make the election with the amended returns.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Your stepson can not be claimed that way.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.