Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My girlfriend and I live together. She doesn't use my

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I live together. She doesn't use my address, because she always checks on her 80 year old mom everyday, so she just let her mail go there. My question is:
She just got a job in Florida. How can we get credit for moving and relocation expenses?
What are we entitled to ? Or what are one of us entitled to?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I assume that you are asking about deducting moving expenses - correct?
There are certain requirements - and each of you will separately determine qualifications.

If you moved due to a change in your job or business location, or because you started a new job or business, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses but not any expenses for meals. You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements:

• Your move closely relates to the start of work
  • You meet the distance test
  • You meet the time test

Your move must closely relate both in time and in place to the start of work at your new location. You can consider moving expenses incurred within one year from the date you first reported to work at the new location as closely related in time to the start of work. A move generally relates closely in place if the distance from your new home to the new job location is not more than the distance from your former home to the new job location. For exceptions to these requirements, see Publication 521, Moving Expenses.

The distance test: Your new workplace must be at least 50 miles farther from your old home than your old job location was from your old home. If you had no previous workplace, your new job location must be at least 50 miles from your old home.

The time test: If you are an employee, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new job location. If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new work location. There are exceptions to the time test in case of death, disability and involuntary separation, among other things.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Figure moving expenses on Form 3903 , Moving Expenses, and deduct as an adjustment to income on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You cannot deduct any moving expenses covered by reimbursements from your employer that are excluded from your income.