Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

What is non-resident Tax(non Canadian) to a U.S. citizen? I

Customer Question

What is non-resident Tax(non Canadian) to a U.S. citizen? I have a letter and check that indicates that I owe $5,500.00 which is to be paid with the check in order to claim a prize.
Is this true?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

No this is a scam.

...

A VERY common method - (telling someone that that they've won a prize or sweepstakes, then asking for a pre-payment of the "taxes" in order to claim the prize.

...

There ARE certain times (such as gambling or REAL sweepstakes winnings) where tax is withheld FROM the check.

...

And both federal and state taxes are due on gambling and sweepstakes winnings (you'll get a W2-G for example form casino winnings so tht you can report your income and pay taxes).

...

But when someone tells you that you must PAY taxes to GET the prize, that's a scam ....a very common one.

...

The victims send in the "tax" and the prize is never heard from again

...

Please do not respond to them

...

Let me know if you have any questions at all

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.
...