How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14010
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a contractor tax exempt research company in the state

Customer Question

I am a contractor for a tax exempt research company in the state of New York. When I purchase parts and materials to be used for them, are said parts and materials subject to tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The organization would need to apply for an exemption certificate and be granted same for the purchases to be exempt from sales tax.

To apply they would file Form ST-119.2, Application for an Exempt Organization Certificate .

If granted NY will issue Form ST-119, Exempt Organization Certificate, to them. It will contain a six-digit New York State sales tax exemption number.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.