socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I just received an audit from California head of household

Customer Question

I just received an audit from California for claiming head of household this past year. I usually claim my son but have always claimed single in the past but this past year my son lived with me for about seven months out of the past year. Should I just fill out their questionnaire and let them determine it from there. Is this more of a formality on their part. My concern is that I am in the process of moving and don't have access to any docs as they are sitting in storage for the next six months so timing couldn't be worse!
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

If the FTB has provided you with a questionnaire, then you may as well fill it out, and send it back. Claiming an exemption is pretty "cut and dry." If you have correctly claimed the exemption, the audit will be closed and you'll be done. Otherwise, you'll get a notice of determination of tax, and you'll have to pay the additional amount reflected by a different exemption status.

If you need assistance filling out the questionnaire, I could help you, but I would have to send an additional services offer, and there may not be enough of a tax savings to justify my additional fees. So, unless there's a lot of money at stake (i.e., your taxable income was at least $50,000, then it probably wouldn't be worth the additional costs.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Thanks again for using Justanswer!