How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14462
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received an award covering back and future wages in

Customer Question

I have received an award covering back and future wages in the amount of $400,000. I have learned that this amount is going to be taxed as if it was paid to me for "one week's wages". Is this acceptable? This litigation has gone on for nearly 4 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If you receive a settlement in an employment-related lawsuit; for example, involuntary termination,

the portion of the proceeds that is for lost wages (i.e., severance pay, back pay, front pay) is taxable wages and subject to the social security wage base and social security and Medicare tax rates in effect in the year paid.

These proceeds are subject to employment tax withholding by the payor and should be reported by you as ‘Wages, salaries, tips, etc.” on line 7 of Form 1040.

Yes, the fact that the past employer will withhold and send this through payroll is correct. They will most likely use the flat rate of tax for withholding (25%).

You of course will be able to have any amount refunded to you when you file your tax return that is more than your true liability for the entire year.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Related Tax Questions