Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Broker statement has 'non qualfied interest' of $3,000. This

Customer Question

Broker statement has 'non qualfied interest' of $3,000. This is not part of what is reported as interest income. Where does this get reported if not on Schedule B?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

It is not typically reported at all.

...

For example, A REMIC (in order to remain a qualified investment for tax deferral purposes) must pay a 100% tax on any de minimis nonqualified interest received.

....

You should not have received any actual nonqualified interest income -- so, there would be nothing upon which to pay taxes.

...

If you think that you actually received, physically received interest, then you WOULD have to report and pay. But this would be an anomaly (such as a REMIC or other vehicle not reporting correctly)

..

You should be able to determine whether or not you actually received the amount of tax which was reported on the 1099-INT. And, if it's more than the amount reported, then the you may want to pay taxes on that amount, because something is wrong, somewhere -- with the accounting and tax reporting.

...

99.99 of the time this is neither reportable or taxable

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don’t have additional questions on this, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi did you see my answer?

...

Let me know if you still have questions

...

Lane

.