Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

What are the other forms of a qualified accounts beside the

Customer Question

what are the other forms of a qualified accounts beside the IRA to rollover monies without the tax having to be paid
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

In terms of a personally owned (not through a workplace) account, the traditional - non-roth - IRA is it

...

But since the Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA, 2006) rolling pre-tax dollars between almost ANY qualified account is allowed (legally - the plan itself may not allow it - that's a plan document issue).

...

here's an excellent rollover chart that lists the primary quallified plans and the ability to roll for other qualified accounts.

...

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

...

YOU CAN also roll from all-pre-tax dollar accounts such as pure pre-tax 401(k) to Roths, but this is a taxable event

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

There are a few other HYBRID type plans out there, (and non-qualifed deferred comp where there ARE tax benefits but they dont work like classic pre-tax accounts)

...

But the primary ones are as follows:

...

• Roth IRA
  • Traditional IRA
  • SIMPLE IRA
  • SEP-IRA
  • 457(b) Qualified Plan (pre-tax)
  • 403(b) (pre-tax)
  • Designated Roth Account (401(k), 403(b) or 457(b))
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I am CFP, have a law degree with concentration in taxation and corporate law (Juris Doctorate), and an MBA with specialization in Finance.

...

But the credential that applies most here is my C.R.P.S. (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist)

...

If you'll tell me more about what you're trying to do, and what options you have (whether you have a CURRENT workplace plan for example), as well as ballpark income levels ... I'm sure I can help you make an informed decision.

...

let me know how else I can help

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don’t have additional questions on this, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

.