Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a 73 yr old first time home buyer in Boardman, Ohio. I

Customer Question

I am a 73 yr old first time home buyer in Boardman, Ohio. I close in October. Real estate taxes estimated
At $2400. Am I eligable for any relief on tax.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The homestead exemption in Ohio allows low-income senior citizens and permanently and totally disabled Ohioans, to reduce their property tax bills, by shielding some of the market value of their homes from taxation.

The exemption, which takes the form of a credit on property tax bills, allows qualifying homeowners to exempt up to $25,000 of the market value of their homes from all local property taxes. For example, through the homestead exemption, a home with a market value of $100,000 is billed as if it is worth $75,000.

To apply, complete the application form (DTE 105A, Homestead Exemption Application Form for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons, and Surviving Spouses), then file it with your local county auditor. The form is available on the Department of Taxation’s website and is also available from county auditors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not agree to financial terms and cancelled. Do not bill me or I will challenge the fee on my Viss card
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I will tell Customer Service for you. They will contact you.

Thank you