Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I mailed my form 8843 before the deadline but somehow it was

Customer Question

Hi, I mailed my form 8843 before the deadline but somehow it was returned by USPS when I was in another city. How can I file this form again?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Sent you've already sent this, re-send (you migh want to consider sending via FedEx or Certified mail this time) but send in a statement (essentially a cover letter) along with a COPY of the postmarked envelope from your original effort.

...

This will show that you did indeed mail before the deadline.

...

In the statement, simply state that you mailed before the deadline (and say "please find copy of postmarked envelope") and returned home to find that it had been returned by USPS.

...

The general rule for the IRS is that as long as you meet the appropriate requirements, the date that you mail your return and tax payment to the IRS is treated as the date that you filed or paid your taxes. This rule applies to returns and other required documents for which a specified date or period is given in the tax laws.

...

Please let me know if you have questions

..

Lane

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

P.S.

...

Here's the IRS site with a link to the Private Delivery Services Addresses to use, when sending by Private delivery Service
...
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Private-Delivery-Services-%28PDS%29

...

From there ...

...

Taxpayers or Tax Professionals can use certain private delivery services designated by the IRS to meet the "timely mailing as timely filing/paying" rule for tax returns and payments. These private delivery services include only the following:

- Federal Express (FedEx): FedEx Priority Overnight, FedEx Standard Overnight, FedEx 2Day, FedEx International Priority, FedEx International First, FedEx First Overnight, FedEx International First Next Flight Out, and FedEx International Economy.

- United Parcel Service (UPS): UPS Next Day Air, UPS Next Day Air Saver, UPS 2nd Day Air, UPS 2nd Day Air A.M., UPS Worldwide Express Plus, UPS Worldwide Express, and UPS Next Day Air Early AM.

The private delivery service can tell you how to get written proof of the mailing date.

Here are the street addresses of the submission processing centers for delivery by a PDS