Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I received a failure to file penalty. I had authorized my

Customer Question

I received a failure to file penalty. I had authorized my tax preparer to e-file the tax return He had computer issues that prevented him from filing.
Does my signature on form 8879 show proof of reasonable cause to have the penalty abated?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can request an abatement of the penalty based on the circumstances you posted.

What you should do is of course file, pay any tax due and make your request to abate the penalty at the same time.

If you do not owe tax then no penalty will apply. If you do owe and did not pay by the 15th you will have interest that cannot be abated.

To summarize, you will not have a penalty for not filing if you do not owe tax. Your reason for making the request to abate is valid if you did owe tax and did not pay by 15th.