Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

MY WIFE HAD A STOKE ON JULY 4 2012, SHE WAS IN REHAB DAYS,

Customer Question

MY WIFE HAD A STOKE ON JULY 4 2012, SHE WAS IN REHAB FOR 100 DAYS, SHE WENT A NURSING HOME ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 15 2012 I WAS CHARGED 3500.00 A MOUTH UNTIL SHE PASSE AWAY ON JULY 17, 2014.
I CLAIMED THE $35OO A MONTH IN 2013 WITH JACKSON HEWITT TX SERVICE, IN 2014 THE TAX SERVICE REFUSED TO LET ME CLAIM THE $3500 FOR THE SEVEN MONTHS IN 2014, THAT COMES TO $24,500, pLUS I HAD TO HAVE A LAWYER TO RORATE HER WILL AND SATISFY THE VETERANS FOR THEIR MANY QUESTION. THE LAWYER FEE CAME TO OVER $ 3OOO. THE FAX CO. REFUSED THE NURSING HOME AND THE LAWYER FEE. i WENT BACK THE NEXT DAY AND WAS TOLD THE RETURN WAS CORRECT.
I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IF THE NURSING WAS OK IN 2013 WHY NT IN 2914
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Nursing home expenses are allowable as medical expenses in certain instances.

• If you, your spouse or your dependent is in a nursing home and the primary reason for being there is for medical care, the entire cost including meals and lodging is a deductible medical expense.
  • If the individual is in the home mainly for personal reasons, then only the cost of the actual medical care is a deductible medical expense, and the cost of the meals and lodging is not deductible.

If your wife was in the home for medical care then you should claim the expense on Schedule A under medical. If she wasn't in the nursing home principally to receive medical care, then only the portion of the fee that is allocable to actual medical care qualifies as a deductible medical expense.

Her medical care would have to be the main point not that she received medical in addition to the stay (like an assisted living home).

I do not know the thinking of the person that prepared the 2014 return but perhaps they did not think your wife was in the same situation as 2013 for some reason.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If you believe the return is not correct you can take it to another professional (some will not charge to check it) and then an amended return can be prepared (that they would charge for).

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.