Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

If I owe back taxes from previous yeas, why do I get

Customer Question

If I owe back taxes from previous yeas, why do I get responses from different parts of the country about payments, i.e., AL, MO.? I HAVE RECEIVED DIFFERENT TELEPHONE numbers that drop ou, I have talked to different operaters that give me different answers. Am I talking to LEGITS???
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

If you are getting phone calls about taxes you owe, then they are scams because the IRS doesn't operate in that fashion. They notify you by mail, either regular or certified, depending upon the urgency.

The IRS is fully aware of this (http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Reiterates-Warning-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam) and has the following instructions for you:

"If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1.***-***-****.

You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!