How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4408
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did not file 2011, 12,13, 14 tax forms until today. Dumb i

Customer Question

i did not file 2011, 12,13, 14 tax forms until today. Dumb i know. However i didnt think i would get in trouble because i never owe taxs (so i thought). Anyway, i call the irs and made arrangements to submit all taxes. I owed about $200 on my 2013, and $800 on 2014 but i was due $1140 on my 2012. After submitting all forms and talking to the irs they said i was now in compliance and if my 2012 tax was accepted i basicly owed nothing. The lady stated that i had nothing to worry about going forward as there was no levlevy involved.
Later that same day my wife call and said i received a letter from the irs stating that i was been placed in sometype of Lock witholding program- forcing me into a Single status with 0 exemption. Mind you, i have two young highschool kids and i own my home and im married. Although i didnt file my taxes as i should have(and i paid for it by losing my 2011 $3K refund) i never claimed anything that wasnt true. can you please explan and tell me what options i have?
Note: i normally file 0 exemptions during the year but then cliam my two kids at the end of the year. Some how i think this may have triggered something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The IRS lock in program is based on their assessment that you did not have enough tax withheld. Since you were a nonfiler, using this mandate for withholding will get your attention.

Since you are now in compliance, and have filed, you can fix things. You will have to complete a new w-4 and send it to IRS for approval. The instructions and address to mail it should be in your letter. I would enclose an explanatory letter, and copies of pages 1 and 2 of your recently filed forms 1040. Write "DO NOT PROCESS" on the tips of the 1040 pages you enclose.

Send it certified mail, return receipt. IRS should approve quickly.

If two weeks passes with no changes, of if the excess withholding causes a hardship, you can ask for relief using a form 911, Taxpayer Assistance Order.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Related Tax Questions