Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

WE ARE SELLING OUR HOUSE WITH A NET OF 410000 APROXIMALLY WE

Customer Question

WE ARE SELLING OUR HOUSE FOR 785000 WITH A NET OF 410000 APROXIMALLY WE WILL PROBABLY SPEND AROUND 600000 ON THE NEW HOUSE WHAT THE TAX IMPLICATIONS TO THIS AND HOW CAN WE KEEP FROM ADDING TO OUR TAX BILL WE ARE ALSO INTERESTED IN A SERIES ON HOME AND ARE 65
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

It no longer matters to you what you do with the proceeds from the sale of your house. As long as this is your principal residence (i.e., you've lived there at least 2 of the preceding 5 years as your principal residence), then under Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code, you can exclude up to $500,000 in gain from sale if you are a married couple (it's $250,000 if single). So, if your gain is $410,000, you will be able to exclude all the gain and will have no tax resulting from your sale.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!