emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I had an apartment in NC but also had an apartment in VA

Customer Question

I had an apartment in NC but also had an apartment in VA where I worked(My only job for that year). Both were in my name for the entire year and I also held my job in VA for that entire year. But I ended up with a job in Indiana so when I filed my taxes, for VA and for IN that year. But not for NC since I considered my place of residence as VA and IN. Now, NC want back taxes.
Now the apartment in NC was very rarely visited since it was a long way away. During that year I may have spent 2 nights here. I did not consider that my residence.
Since I was in a lease for my apartment in VA, I let my mom move in and I paid for her a place to live.
Randy
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

So, what's your question? Are you asking about the NC back taxes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Having an apartment in NC doesn't makes you resident of NC. If you didn't earned any income from NC, there's no need to file a tax return or claim any income in NC.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You need to call NC department of revenue or respond to the notice that you were not NC resident any time during that year and that you didn't have any NC source of income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I you are right but I keep getting bills from Revenue for NC and I can't seem to fix it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent them a copy of my taxes do not know what else to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that ! It's not like it is a huge ampount ($1,400) but it is the principle of the thing you know ! :)
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If responding to notices is not working, you will have to call NC department of revenue and talk to an agent. You don't want to pay something you don't have to. Let me find some contact numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather pay a tax attorney for help than to give them my money.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Similar to IRS, NC is taxpayer advocate services. It is a free service that helps taxpayers to deal with NC revenue department issues.

Here's the link: http://www.dor.state.nc.us/practitioner/taxpayer_advocate/index.html

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

It is up to you, but unless you are under criminal investigation you really don't need a tax attorney. CPA or Enrolled agent can represent you, talk to the revenue department and fix it for much less than tax attorney.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I will go to the site and also call on Monday. I just don't get it anymore. I will keep you in the loop as to the outcome.
I'm not in any criminal investigation. I'm honest but like I said, what is with them?
Thank you for the like. You have been most kind!
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Believe me, I understand your frustration. Many states must cut their budgets and look for every opportunity to collect as much as they can and where they can using all kinds of sneaky tactics.

Anyway if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.