Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am trying to find out if my church is tax exempt and if it

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if my church is tax exempt and if it is, the tax exempt number
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

To be recognized as exempt from federal income taxation, most organizations are required to apply for recognition of exemption. For section 501(c)(3) organizations, the law provides only limited exceptions to this requirement. Applying for recognition of exemption results in formal IRS recognition of an organization’s status, and may be preferable for that reason.
The following organizations are excepted from the exemption application requirement:
•Churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches; and
•An organization that is not a private foundation and the gross receipts of which in each taxable year are normally not more than $5,000.

So far - as a church - your organization is considered tazx exempt without specific recognition from teh IRS.
If there weer such application - you may verify using the IRS database
http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Search-for-Charities
If you search by name, state and other parameters.
You may also confirm an organization's status by calling the IRS (toll-free) at _1_877_829_5500_

But because churches are not required to file the exemption application - your church might not be in this database.
Let me know if you need any help.