Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I travel one day a week to a different work site can I claim

Customer Question

I travel one day a week to a different work site can I claim mileage from home to work and work to home?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Possibly ... the answer depends on whether this second work-site is temporary.

...

See this from IRS (I'll provide the link and underline the pertinent part)

...

Figure B. When Are Transportation Expenses Deductible?

Summary: This illustration depicts the rules used to determine if transportation expenses are deductible.

Between home and regular or main job, Never deductible.

Between home and temporary work location, Deductible if you have a regular or main job at another location.

Between home and second job, Never deductible on a day off from regular or main job.

Between regular or main job and temporary work location, Always deductible.

Between regular or main job and second job, Always deductible.

Between temporary work location and second job, Always deductible.

Definitions for words used:

Home: The place where you reside. Transportation expenses between your home and your main or regular place of work are personal commuting expenses.

Regular or main job: Your principal place of business. If you have more than one job, you must determine which one is your regular or main job. Consider the time you spend at each, the activity you have at each, and the income you earn at each.

Temporary work location: A place where your work assignment is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) one year or less. Unless you have a regular place of business, you can only deduct your transportation expenses to a temporary work location outside your metropolitan area.

Second job: If you regularly work at two or more places in one day, whether or not for the same employer, you can deduct your transportation expenses of getting from one workplace to another. You cannot deduct your transportation costs between your home and a second job on a day off from your main job.

...

Here's the link: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/11081l02.gif-315423875.html

Let me know if you have questions...

..

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's the only way I'll be credited for the work here)

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Just checking back in to see if you saw my answer

...

To APPLY the IRS rulings above, ...

...

If this second work location is a location that you will reasonably expect only to frequent for less than a year ... it satisfies the "temporary assignment" rule and the trips from home are considered business travel rather than commuting. (you don't need to worry about the metropolitan areas issue becasue you DO have a regular place of business), and hence, is deductible.

...

Hope that helps

...

Lane

...

.

...