Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Hope you can explain an issue. I purchased my home for

Customer Question

hope you can explain an issue for me.
I purchased my home for $134,000 in 1988. In July 2015 I sold it at 194,500 with a short sale. The difference in the mort owed and the sale price of 199,500 is approx. $100,000.
Question 1- is the approx. $60,000 in the sale over purchase price a capital gain? since I sold with a short sale, is the 60,000 still considered as part of my adjustable gross income even thought the full 194,500 went to the bank and I didn't see any profit.
I know I have to wait to see if the government will forgive the approx. 100,000 difference in the sale price vs the outstanding mort.
Question 2- I lost my job which caused the above. I am now working. In the meantime I took about $225,000 from my IRA. I paid student loans, car etc off. I did use 35% for the taxes which the financial institution sent to the government. this was all in 2015. when I do my state income take (NY) can I use all the tax owed them in 2015 as a deduction in 2015 for the federal tax return? Or will I have to wait for next year since I expect a bill for 2015state when I file.
thanks
Question 3-
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Yes, you still have a gain ... the mortgage is not relevant to the gain OTHER than how you financed the purchase

...

Now...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

And yes, state income taxes paid (regardless of the reason... earned income, IRA withdrawals, etc) IS a deduction on the federal return IF you itemize

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Questions?

Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Different expert here. You may exclude up to $250.000 if you are single ($500,000) if you are married filing joint. and both you and your spouse lived in this home as your primary residence This means that the gain on the short sale and/or the cancellation of debt will NOT be taxable to you in this situation. Please see below:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Issues-Home-Sale-Exclusion-Rules

If you have any questions, please post them here, and I'll be notified.

If this has answered your question, please take a moment to rate positive (smiley faces or stars)

It is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Your original expert here.

...

As you never came back into the chat, it appears that information has been added that was not asked.

...

You asked ... Question 1- is the approx. $60,000 in the sale over purchase price a capital gain? since I sold with a short sale, is the 60,000 still considered as part of my adjustable gross income even thought the full 194,500 went to the bank and I didn't see any profit"

...

I wanted to clear up, first, before we continued the engagement, that the mortgage has nothing to do with the gain - If these first things first issues aren't cleared up, then the conversation becomes very convoluted.

...

The point here is that the full 194,500 going to the bank, isn't the issue.

...

Second, whether there is a gain and whether or not it is excludable are two different issues. As I mentioned above, there is a gain, Secondly, as answered but not asked, if you DO meet the test of having lived in the home for 2 out of the last five years, this gain would be excludable (under IRC § 121) ... although we had not gotten far enough in the engagement and gathered enough data to make that determination yet.

...

Third, again, yes, the state taxes paid WILL be a deduction on your 2015 federal taxes if you itemize.

...

Hope this helps to clarify.

...

Please return to the conversation so that I can give you the kind of specificity that can only be provided with your providing more data.

...

If this HAS helped, and you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's how we're credited for the work here)

.

Lane

,