Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Tax ID number?

Customer Question

Tax ID number for trust?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

You can go here, and get an EIN for the trust on line IRS EIN

...

Once you get to the second page or so, you see a list of different entity types.

...

Choose the type you are applying for. If you don't see your type, select "View Additional Types."

Sole Proprietor

Includes individuals who are in business for themselves and household employers.

Partnerships

Includes partnerships and joint ventures.

Corporations

Includes S corporations, personal service corporations, real estate investment trusts (REIT), regulated investment conduits (RIC), and settlement funds.

Limited Liability Company (LLC)

A limited liability company (LLC) is a structure allowed by state statute and is formed by filing articles of organization with the state.

Estate

An estate is a legal entity created as a result of a person's death.

Trusts

All types of trusts including conservatorships, custodianships, guardianships, irrevocable trusts, revocable trusts, and receiverships.

View Additional Types, Including Tax-Exempt and Governmental Organizations

If none of the above fit what you are establishing, there are several others to choose from.

...

As you can see, trusts are the nest to last choice

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Choose Trusts, and go on from there.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's how we're credited for the work here)

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot hear message, I just want the ID# *****!
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking how to get a new number? or are you asking for a lost or misplaced number? or are you asking for a verification letter?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

For a confirmation LETTER, you'll have to do this by phone (but this is the business line... not nearly as long a wait, as the individuals' line)

...

First ...

Call the IRS at(###) ###-####between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. EST. Give the tax assistant your business name and verifying information such as your business address and phone number.

....

Next ...

Request a tax ID verification letter. The IRS can fax or mail the letter to you if your contact information is the same as when you applied for the number. If you changed your business mailing address or fax number, you must file Form 8822 to change your address with the IRS before you can receive a verification letter.

...

Here's where you can download/print the address change form if you need it:

...

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-8822,-Change-of-Address

...

But if you have lost and need them to look it up for you,

..

• Find the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN. This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.
  • If you used your EIN to open a bank account, or apply for any type of state or local license, you should contact the bank or agency to secure your EIN.
  • Find a previously filed tax return for your existing entity (if you have filed a return) for which you have your lost or misplaced EIN. Your previously filed return should be notated with your EIN.
  • Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(###) ###-#### ***** hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

...

And again, if you need a NEW ID, use that first set of instructions I gave you: go here to get it: IRS EIN

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has helped

...

Lane

...

.