Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

What is the best way to arrange payments on my tax bill. The

Customer Question

What is the best way to arrange for monthly payments on my tax bill. The amount is for 2012 in the amount of 6,697.23. I did not realize a person could not deduct moving-relocation expenses for more then one work related moving expense in one year I am a nursing home administrator and do interim facility administration. Thanking you, Hal Mcpheeters--cell-***-***-****---If this stands I will have to make monthly payments. e-mail address is***@******.***---Thanking you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to have moving expenses deductive two times during the calendar year.
There is so-called "time test":

If you are an employee, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new job location. If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new work location. There are exceptions to the time test in case of death, disability and involuntary separation, among other things.

So - the first step - to verify if your deduction is correct - and if yes - to reply to the IRS with explanation of facts and reasoning.
If indeed you made a mistake - then - there is no choice - and you will need to agree with IRS's determination and assessment.
In this case - if you are not able to pay in full - you may apply for teh installment payment plan.

you can apply for an online payment agreement.

OR

you may complete and mail Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request and Form 433-F, Collection Information Statement ;

OR

you may contact the IRS directly at _800_829_1040_ or the phone number on your bill or notice.