How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4439
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I repaid SSA $14,393 in August 2013 SSA Overpayment of

Customer Question

I repaid SSA $14,393 in August 2013 for an SSA Overpayment of excess SSA from working and drawing early SSA benefits in 2012. SSA stopped payments in August 2103 and did not resume payments until June 2014. SSA took $13,886.60 of payments in 2014 and showed it on 1099 block 4 and paid me $12,610 in 2014. However they stated my 1099 income block 3 for 2014 was $26497.30 and explained the $13,889.60 as a deduction for work or other adjustments. I say I paid SSA the $13,8866.60 and the paid me $12,610 so I overpaid SSA $1295.90 in 2014.
How can I get the iRS understand the 2014 Block 3 income is incorrect and wrong? One IRS lawyer said Block 4 Benefits repaid go on Line 71 of the 1040 and IRS EL Monte said no. SSA must change the 1099. What can I do? I was sent an intent to levy letter stating I have until SEP 1 tp reya or collction process will start.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

The math involved in SSA repayments is a bit involved, but this typically has a reasonable outcome.

It would help if I could look at the notices or underlying math, but I will work with what you provide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wrong number. Call(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What was your initial answer? Send more info? This sucks.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
I asked you to review the firm's, to support what I am about to tell you. I will use your question text to respond. Based on what you entered, I believe you are incorrect.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
I just saw you put in a phone request. If you want to put it in again, i will accept and call you to explain.