Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Yeah I live in Florida. Starting a fishing guide service.

Customer Question

Yeah I live in Florida. Starting a fishing guide service. Already paid sales tax on boat when I purchased. Do I need to pay sales tax again when I transfer to llc
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

No the LLC is considered a passthrough, both for income tax purposes and this, as well.

...

You are not selling the boat to the LLC, you are contributing it as a capital contribution of property

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Checking with Florida now to be sure

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

OK ... Spoke with Richard Gould (FL Boat Enforcement Operations;(###) ###-#### ***** he said no, that was considered a gift, or contribution, TO the LLC ... but he will be calling me back with the actual citation to the sales tax code ... worst case tomorrow morning.

...

Ill post something as soon as I hear back

...

But again, from a tax and legal perspective, it would be very unlikely, because this is not an exchange or a sales transaction (you are not receiving anything FROM the LLC)

...

Check back shortly , I'll look in the FL code myself as well

Expert:  Kent-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/tax/99hk0-yeah-live-florida-starting-fishing-guide-service-already.html).
Thank you,
The JustAnswer Customer Support Team
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Received the call back.... You do not have to pay sales tax agian when registering your boat to an LLC which you completely own.

...

Hope this has helped

...

Lane

..

If this HAS helped, and you don't have questions, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's how we're credited for the work here)

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hey,
.. received another call from Richard Gould at Fl. Sales tax.
He said, again, that you should NOT be charged for sales tax just to re-title to your LLC.
...
But he wanted to provide the "heads-up" that if if you had any outstanding taxes owed to the state at all, THAT could trigger the tax OR other issue.
... just wanted to provide that additional "heads-up."
...
let me know if you have questions...
...
Lane
...
Again, if HAS helped, and you don't have questions, I'd really appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's how we're credited for the work here)
.