Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My father who lived in Peru (he is a non-citizen) gave my

Customer Question

My father who lived in Peru (he is a non-citizen) gave my brother and I his house as a gift in 2009 and he lived on it until he passed away. We sold the house last year. Do I have have to pay taxes from this sale?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

hi,

...

Yes, IRS taxes all income (to US citizens and tax residents) regardless of where the income was generated

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

However...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You get, because the asset was inherited, what's called a step-up in basis ... meaning that the basis for purposes of calculating your capital gain is "stepped-up" to the fair market vcalue on the date of death

...

Capital gain is SALES PRICE MINUS BASIS

...

So if, say, the house were worth 100000 in 2009 and you sold it for 110000 you would each gave a 5,000 gain

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Also, you'll get the lower LONG-TERM capital gain rate, because you received the house in this manner.

...

Long-term gains ares taxed at

• 0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets
  • 15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets
  • 20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If you'd like to tell me how you file (single, joint, etc), your other income for the household, the market value of the house in 2009 and what you sold it for, I can help you calculate the tax

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s how we’re credited for the work here.

...

let me know

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

….

I'm just checking back in to see how things are going.

….

Did my answer help?

….

Let me know…

….

Lane

...