Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How do I answer question #13 on Schedule C, Part II of the

Customer Question

How do I answer question #13 on Schedule C, Part II of the 2011 1040 form. I have read the instructions but cannot find how to answer this question. Any help will be appreciated.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want the depreciation and section 179 Expense Deduction in answer to question #13
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

When you puchase property to use in the business (anything from office furniture to computers) you can't USUALLY take a full deduction for the entire cost ... you have to deduct the cost over a period of years (this is called depreciation)

...

When you deduct this portion of the cost every year, as an expense, a depreciation deduction, you'll eventually get the expenses for the entire cost. Computer equipment, for example, is five years.

...

There IS however a special incentive that MAY be going away at the end of 2015 (unless it's extended, called Section 179)

...

The Section 179 limit has been reduced to $25,000. This deduction is good on new and used equipment, as well as off-the-shelf software. This limit is only good for 2015, and the equipment must be financed/purchased and put into service by the end of the day, 12/31/2015.

...

AND you must USE that equipment at least 50% for business of there will be what's called depreciation recapture (where the deduction you took to expense it all in the first year is added back to your income later.

...

This 179 deduction is also should you choose to take it for equipment purchases for the year is ALSO taken on line 13.

...

Does this help?

...

Let me know

...

Lane

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

By the way, you'll use form 4562 "Depreciation and Amortization," if you have any of the following (this will then flow TO line 13)

...

• you're claiming depreciation on business property you purchased and placed in service during the year
  • you're claiming depreciation on a vehicle or other "listed property"
  • you're claiming a section 179 expense

...

(Certain types of property used in business are considered "listed;"

• Cell Phones
  • Vehicles under 6000 pounds
  • COmputers and computer equipment such as printers and monitors (UNless they're used at either a regular office or used at home office that qualifieds for the home office deducion_
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hope this helps

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don't have questions, I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's how we're credited for the work here)

.