Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Am i entitled to a refund of the taxes i paid a hotel after

Customer Question

Am i entitled to a refund of the taxes i paid a hotel after I've been there over 30 days in the state of CT
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I checked with the CT dept of revenue and they pointed me to this

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

"Room Occupancy Tax: The room occupancy tax is imposed on a transfer for consideration of the occupancy of any room or rooms in a hotel or lodging house for 30 consecutive calendar days or less. The tax rate is 12% of the total rent received for occupancy of the room or rooms for up to 30 consecutive calendar days. Beginning on the 31st consecutive day of occupancy by the same person, the tax no longer applies. The term person includes, among others, any individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, social club, fraternal organization, corporation, limited liability company, or a Connecticut state agency, federal agency, or Connecticut municipal government agency."

...

I believe however, that since this was published (still good law) never been superceded, the rate has risen to 15%

...

What this tells us is that, yes, AFTER 30 days, you should not be charged ... but, so sorry, this would not cause a refund on the 31st day. Rather they should not be charging this AFTER thirty days have passed.

..

If they have charged the tax after the 30th day, THEN you can call the department of revenue and file a complaint if they refuse to refund any taxes charged AFTER 30 days.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

YOu ca call the CT state department of revenue here: Monday through Friday:

• 1-***-***-**** (toll-free within Connecticut), or
  • ***-***-**** (from anywhere)

TTY, TDD, and Text Telephone users only may transmit inquiries 24 hours a day by calling(###) ###-####

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has helped, let me know if you have questions...

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s how we’re credited for the work here.

...