Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Attorney
18572087

If I buy genuine Marlboro Red cigarettes online from another

Customer Question

If I buy genuine Marlboro Red cigarettes online from another country such as Ukraine, if I pay excise state tax, can I resell with a license for distribution legally?
If so, how would I set up such a business legally?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

You will have to pay both state and federal excise taxes and that is what makes the cigarettes so expensive. If you don't pay federal excise tax the ATF will not be pleased. Also you will have to follow all the same laws that any other distributor in your state has. The marginal profit , if any, would be nominal. To set up the business you would simply incorporate and then seek out the appropriate licensure. Compliance and record keeping are key! I would suggest not doing this if you are unfamiliar with the industry as a whole. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive.

Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am a legal professional and can try to clarify if needed. Do you still have questions at this time?