Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
20877915

My estimated tax payment was made twice on the same day. Can

Customer Question

My estimated tax payment was made twice on the same day. Can I have the extra payment refunded. I also need to amend my estimated tax worksheet - it was estimated for twice the amount.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided. Unfortunately, you will not be able to get the extra estimated tax payment refunded (at least I have never seen it happen) prior to you filing your 2015 tax return. In my experience and advise is to simply best to stop making any more estimated payments and anticipate a refund of the excess when you file. You can also adjust your W-4's to have less deducted from payroll (if applicable) until 12/31.

You could call the IRS at 1-***-***-**** (or have your CPA, enrolled agent, or attorney call) and see if you (or they) have any luck pleading your case for a refund now. However, due to IRS' current budget and morale woes, the call will include a hour plus hold time and it is likely that agent on the other end will simply say "tough". Unfortunately, there is nothing that I know of statutorily that can force the refund at this point.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.