Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I rent a house to my son the mortgage payment including

Customer Question

I rent a house to my son for just the mortgage payment including taxes. I can not claim interest and taxes can he?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

The answer, so sorry, is generally no.

...

the two major hurdles you have to jump over to qualify forthe deduction:

1. You must have secured debt on a qualified home in which you have an ownership interest.
  2. You must file your federal income taxes using Form 1040 and itemize deductions on Schedule A.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Now, there is a rare exception to this called "Beneficial ownership." Where you can make a case that SUBSTANTIALLY your son has all of the benefits and burdens of ownership.

...

But it might be simpler just to gift the home TO him.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Here are some final tips that can help protect you in the event of an IRS tax audit:

• If you co-own a property and are not listed on the mortgage, never make monthly payments to a co-owner because that could be construed as paying rent. Instead, make payments directly to the lender so your ownership interest can’t be questioned.
  • If you co-own a property but aren’t named on the deed, have your ownership interest clearly defined in a written contract.
  • If you pay someone else’s mortgage debt for them, you can never deduct the mortgage interest unless you are indebted as an owner of the property.

Hope this helps...

Lane

...

Please let me know if you have questions from here...

...

If this HAS helped, and you don't have questions, I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's how we're credited for the work here)

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hope you'll rate me positively, using the stars on your screen … (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) … based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news/bad news content

...

That's the only way JustAnswer will credit me, with a portion of what you paid, for the work here ... but again, let me know if you need more

...

Thank you,
Lane