Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If a New York registered public charity needs to register in

Customer Question

If a New York registered public charity needs to register in California and has been getting $1,500 per year since 2009 from two donors is there a way to figure out the penalty that will be levied for not having registered in those years? I couldn't find the penalty provision on any website.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello
I believe the law your are looking for is here:

SECTION 1. Section 12586.1 is added to the Government Code, to read:

12586.1.

In addition to a registration fee, a charitable corporation or trustee, commercial fundraiser, fundraising counsel, or coventurer may be assessed a late fee or an additional fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) for each month or part of the month after the date on which the registration statement and financial report were due to be filed or after the period of extension granted for the filing if the charitable corporation or trustee, commercial fundraiser, fundraising counsel, or coventurer does any of the following:

(a) Exists and operates in California without being registered.