Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am not able to pay my taxes in full. This moment I cannot

Customer Question

I am not able to pay my taxes in full for 2014. This moment I cannot pay anything. I also have additional tax liabilities from previous years. I have gone to the IRS office in Columbia, SC months ago. I was told that I would be contacted by a revenue officer. I never was. Now I have received a certified mailing about a levy if I don'tpay in full. I do not have the money. Because of all of my financial obligations I am strapped financially. I want to take care of my obligations. I don't know how to strategize to do this. I need help. Want do I do? I'm scared.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I understand you're scared, but the best thing to do is hire a CPA or tax attorney to represent you and contact the IRS on your behalf. If you can't afford this, then call the IRS and speak with them and tell them about your troubles. They will have you fill out some forms, and financial disclosures. You will have the best results with a professional helping, though -- but stick to someone local -- don't get one of the firms that does wide scale advertising.

Here's some more information that may help: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Fresh-Start-Program-Helps-Taxpayers-Who-Owe-the-IRS/

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.