Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Is there any age restriction when giving a cash gift of up

Customer Question

Is there any age restriction when giving a cash gift of up to $14,000? For example, can I give such a gift to a young child? If so, can the parent legally cash the check and deposit the money in the parent's bank account?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

No there's no age limitation.

...

The parent cashing the check and depositing in their OWN account COULD, however jeopardize any future determination that the gift was to the child.

...

All that's required of a gift is that it's given without the expectation of anything in return.

...

But if it's important that the donee (gift recipient) be identified (say, for purposes of giving 14,000 to several different people where the parent was ALSO a donee, then the best practice would be to open up an account for the child with the parent being the custodian.

...

Uniform Gifts to miinors accounts are one way to insulate that the funds are the child's (because at the age of majority, the money comes under the child's control.

...

Let me kow if you have questions

...

Lane

...