Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I short saled an investment property. I wonder what the tax

Customer Question

I short saled an investment property. I wonder what the tax implications are? The mortgage was originally $93,000. The short sale was $43,000.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
There will be a couple of main implications
(1) you'll get a 1099-c for the COD (cancellation of debt) income ...IRS taxes money borrowed but not paid back as a net increase in wealth (income), and
(2) a short sale is deemed a sale for tax purposes ... So you'll have either a capital gain or loss on that deemed sale (likely a loss if it was a short sale).
.
Let me know if you have questions ...
.
Lane
.
Let me know if you have questions...
Lane
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi
.
Just checking back in to see if you saw my answer.
...
If you'd like to work through this on a phone consult let me know.
...
But the bot***** *****ne is that you MAY have a 1099-C (cancellation of debt income) and that you MAY have a loss to take from the 1099-A.
...
Let me know if you need more here.
...
But if this HAS helped, a positive rating (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … is thanks enough! … That’s how we’re credited for the work here.
...
Thanks, ***** ***** me know...
Lane
.