How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15042
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding - a property that has been

Customer Question

I have a question regarding - a property that has been willed to siblings that is producing income for about eight years ? How to set up trust so each sibling can be taxed individually for their income ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Actually, the trust is not required for each person to report their own income from the property. If this is rental, each person that owns a portion reports their own Schedule E with the % of rent and expenses based on their % of ownership.

An attorney can assist you in setting up a family trust if you wish the trust to hold the property. Transferring properties into family trusts is usually a simple process that involves signing a deed.

Federal tax law requires family trusts to pay taxes on income it keeps but not on any that is distributed. A trust that earns $50,000 and distributes it all to trust beneficiaries pays no income tax. The beneficiaries pay income taxes on funds given to them. The trust would need to make certain that all is distributed.