Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

My foundation suddenly collapsed, without warning in a home

Customer Question

My foundation suddenly collapsed, without warning in a home in which I had lived for over 35 years. The structural engineer said it was directly related to the coldest February on record coupled with excessive rain the day it collapsed, and the clay soil. It will cost over $40,000 to repair the wall, none of which is covered by insurance as "The earth can not cause the damage as an exclusion". Can I deduct this from my income tax, as well as the possessions that were ruined in the basement? Again, this was without warning.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Given your facts, you have a basis to deduct this loss as a casualty loss on your tax return. Pursuant to IRS Tax Topic 515 (http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc515.html):
"Generally, you may deduct casualty and theft losses relating to your home, household items and vehicles on your federal income tax return. You may not deduct casualty and theft losses covered by insurance unless you file a timely claim for reimbursement, and you reduce the loss by the amount of any reimbursement or expected reimbursement.
A casualty loss can result from the damage, destruction or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake or volcanic eruption. A casualty does not include normal wear and tear or progressive deterioration.
If your property is personal-use property or is not completely destroyed, the amount of your casualty loss is the lesser of:
The adjusted basis of your property, or
The decrease in fair market value of your property as a result of the casualty
The amount of your theft loss is generally the adjusted basis of your property because the fair market value of your property immediately after the theft is considered to be zero.
You must reduce the loss, whether it is a casualty or theft loss, by any salvage value and by any insurance or other reimbursement you receive or expect to receive. The adjusted basis of your property is usually your cost, increased or decreased by certain events such as improvements or depreciation. You may determine the decrease in fair market value by appraisal, or if certain conditions are met, by the cost of repairing the property.
Individuals are required to claim their casualty and theft losses as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions, (or Schedule A in Form 1040NR (PDF), if you are a nonresident alien). For property held by you for personal use, you must subtract $100 from each casualty or theft event that occurred during the year after you have subtracted any salvage value and any insurance or other reimbursement. Then add up all those amounts and subtract 10% of your adjusted gross income from that total to calculate your allowable casualty and theft losses for the year.
Report casualty and theft losses on Form 4684 (PDF), Casualties and Thefts. Use Section A for personal-use property and Section B for business or income-producing property. If personal-use property was damaged, destroyed or stolen, you may wish to refer to Publication 584, Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Loss Workbook (Personal-Use Property). For losses involving business-use property, refer to Publication 584-B (PDF), Business Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Loss Workbook.
Casualty losses are generally deductible in the year the casualty occurred. However, if you have a casualty loss from a federally declared disaster that occurred in an area warranting public or individual assistance (or both), you can choose to treat the loss as having occurred in the year immediately preceding the tax year in which the disaster happened, and you can deduct the loss on your return or amended return for that preceding tax year. Review Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses on IRS.gov, for information regarding timeframes and additional information to your specific qualifying event."
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating