Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

SSA 1099 had $53,815 reported to the IRS, that amount was

Customer Question

SSA 1099 had $53,815 reported to the IRS, that amount was for 3 years of back payments, i had the details of amounts for each back year and redid my prior years income taxs
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You should NOT amend your previous tax returns.

When that payment was made in 2014 - it should be reported on 2014 tax return ONLY.

However - there are two ways to determine a taxable part of social security benefits - and one include determination based on previous year taxable income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Box 3 had the payment from social security broken down to 3 different year's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what turbo tax told me to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the actual break down was: $24,299.00 paid in 2012 for 2011, $24,440.00 paid in 2012 for 2010, $5,076.00 paid in 2012 for 2009. I applied these amounts to each years taxes as asked by Turbo tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

- you will report these social security benefits on form 1040 line 20a and the taxable portion on line 20b.
That is reported on your 2014 tax return - based on WHEN benefits were received.
The main issue to determine the taxable portion of social security benefits that may be up to 85% of the total amount.
there are two methods to determine taxable part of your social security disability benefits.
1. based on current year earnings - you need to prepare the worksheet on page 7 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf
2. because your social security disability benefits are attributable to previous years - you may determine taxable amount separately based on that year earnings - see in the same publication pages 11-14 lump sum election.
If you choose the second method - you will determine the taxable part of your benefits separately for each year - then add them and will report in the year benefits were received - in the current tax year.
You may choose the method that is more beneficial for you.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Most likely - that what you did - prepared worksheet for each of these years and separately determine the taxable part of social security benefits.

But that is no related to "redid my prior years income taxes" as you mentioned.

Your prior years tax return are not changed. You just used information from these tax returns.

But you will report your social security benefits on 2014 tax return based on WHEN that income was received.