Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I filed 2013 taxes online on 4/15/2014 after prepping them

Customer Question

I filed 2013 taxes online on 4/15/2014 after prepping them and doing an online direct debit for the taxes due. I thought everything was done. In October my wife receives notice that she did not file. Sent copies of tax file to IRS. I think there was a resolution. When I started my turbotax for 2014, the software said that i had not filed 2013 return. Being sure that I had, since I had the turbotax documentation saying that I had filed and it was sent; I sent a copy showing the return being filed. I did not send anything more than the return. Now IRS has sent another letter for the taxes due plus penalty and interest charges. Did turbotax have a glitch in the software, did I not finish it as I thought that I had? I need some answers of what happened that it did not get filed by turbotax.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
The issue is that TurboTax doesn't file the tax return for you - that is not a full service provider.What they do - the provide the software and and the gateway for you to file.That means - it is your responsibility to verify if your tax return went through.Generally what you need to verify - there should be conformation e-mail that your tax return was accepted by the IRS - and that step is very important.Normally you woudl receive such email as a matter of a couple of minutes - but as you filed at the last day - that might take longer.If your email is lost or overlooked - TurboTax provides this page to verify the status https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jspIf neither works or you have doubts - you may order the tax return transcript from the IRS or you may verify by calling the IRS _1_800_829_1954_ and get an update.If you did receive a confirmation email but the tax return was NOT actually accepted by the IRS - that woudl be an issue with TurboTax as an e-file provider - and you might have a case.Here is how to contact TurboTax supporthttps://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/Sorry for your situation.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
The issue is that TurboTax doesn't file the tax return for you - that is not a full service provider.
What they do - the provide the software and and the gateway for you to file.
That means - it is your responsibility to verify if your tax return went through.
Generally what you need to verify - there should be conformation e-mail that your tax return was accepted by the IRS - and that step is very important.
Normally you woudl receive such email as a matter of a couple of minutes - but as you filed at the last day - that might take longer.
If your email is lost or overlooked - TurboTax provides this page to verify the status
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp
If neither works or you have doubts - you may order the tax return transcript from the IRS or you may verify by calling the IRS _1_800_829_1954_ and get an update.
If you did receive a confirmation email but the tax return was NOT actually accepted by the IRS - that woudl be an issue with TurboTax as an e-file provider - and you might have a case.
Here is how to contact TurboTax support
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Sorry for your situation.
In your current situation - I suggest to mail your tax return to the IRS.
Let me know in which state you live - and I will verify correct mailing address.
If you do not have any outstanding tax liability - there should not be any penalty.
Any questions? Just Ask!