How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3444
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to reapply student loan deferment. I got married

Customer Question

I need to reapply for my student loan deferment. I got married in the past year. My "family" size is now 2. I am about to file my taxes for 2014.
I need to know if it is better to file jointly or separate so I can ensure a deferment approval.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.
As you are married, you can either file married filing jointly or separately. Either filing status indicates that you are married, would could affect the approval of the deferment. If you are filing for the deferment based on economic hardship, income (your income and your spouse's income) is taken into consideration. SEE BELOW: While there is no deferment for being married, being married does not affect your ability to qualify for a deferment. It can, however, impact your income. If you are hoping to qualify for a deferment based on economic hardship, your household income will be used to make a determination. However, your ability to make payments is calculated based on your family size and income. Generally, if your income is below 150 percent of the poverty guideline for your family size, you can qualify for a deferment due to economic hardship for a maximum of three years. REFERENCE SOURCE: Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Related Tax Questions