Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My son did not receive a W2 from where he worked. He has contacted

Customer Question

My son did not receive a W2 from where he worked. He has contacted the corporate office repeatedly and cannot get one. His pay was direct deposit, and he has no LES. How does he account for this income, or what does he do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Yes - that woudl be his income.Regarding his filing requirement - whether your son is required to file the US tax return or not - that depends on his total income.If he does require to file Or if he doesn't required - but want to claim a refund for withholding - the tax return is needed and he woudl need information from that W2.As you were not able to obtain W2 from his employer - you may request the tax account transcript from the IRS - that transcript should contain all informational that were reported on his tax account - including W2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow - you didn't really read the question completely, so you only partially (barely) answered it. I find it very hard to believe that you are an attorney at all - typos, poor grammar and telling me what to do but now how to do it. Seriously? I didn't get anything I didn't already know, certainly not paying.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for confusion.Your question is posted in Tax category - and I am a tax preparer - not an attorney.Your question was - How does he account for this income, or what does he do?For tax purposes - his income is the gross income - before any withholding. That amount is normally reported on pay stub. Without proper information - we may only estimate that amount.What to do - generally based what you are trying to achieve. If you want to verify if your son is required to file the tax return or if you want to know what was reported on that missing W2 - that is addressed above.If that doesn't address your concern in full - please feel free to elaborate.I am not interested in your payment unless you are fully satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not paying. You still didn't answer. Please do not reply, you've wasted enough of my time.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
The system is forcing me to reply...If no reply is expected - please do not post - that will save my time as well...But if you still any help with this or other tax related issues - you are welcome back.