emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Tax, my daughter is a schoolteacher, State of Idaho.

Customer Question

For 2014 tax, my daughter is a schoolteacher, State of Idaho. Where do we post a deduction for her contribution to Persi, which is teachers Retirement, and does she get a second deduction for Health contribution. Both are in Box 14 of W-2.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. PERSI, just like 401K is pre-tax contribution, it shouldn't be included in taxable income (box 1) on your w2 and as such is not deductible on tax return. Regarding the healthcare contribution, contributions to employer's sponsored plans are also pre-tax contributions and therefore are also not deductible. Which means, the contribution is not included as taxable income (box 1) of the W2. If you check your daughter's paystub, there should be a pre-tax deduction for PERSI and Medical. Deductions in box 14 on a W2 are usually for informational purposes only. A am assuming there's nothing in box 12. Let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.