Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Years New York state pension was giving me my father's pen

Customer Question

For 13 years New York state pension was giving me my father's pension because my mom said it would stop i when dads funds runs out and of course now I have a criminal attorney and New York State is very upset.. it should have stopped when my mother died plus each year I was send some kind of tax statement for the $30 000 I just threw it in a drawer or threw them away because I'm an idiot.. I should have given them to my husband because he filed jointly.. well I didn't so I have about 12 years of $30,000 a month income New York put it in a joint account I have always had with my mother I'm sure the IRS will eventually want it ..we already have an attorney for this big mess we sold our house to pay the state back.. but they still want the balance how do I keep the hundred and $50,000 safe to give back to the State and make sure the IRS doesn't take it out of my bank account for themselves
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.Based on the information contained in your question, it is not clear if you have received any notices from the IRS regarding this unreported income. Assuming you have not (and please correct me if I am wrong), there is no danger of the IRS levying your bank account at this time. Levying a taxpayer's bank account is the last action taken by the IRS in its collection process for unpaid taxes. Further, you would not owe the IRS the total of $150,000, but rather, you would have a tax liability for the unreported income for each year plus any penalties and interest.Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb