Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

A certain nonprofit tax preparer repeatedly failed to notify

Customer Question

A certain nonprofit tax preparer repeatedly failed to notify a client that the online tax filing was rejected by IRS and the correction that had to be made. The nonprofit acted with malice/prejudice and wanted the client to miss the tax filing deadline
and refund. Would the client have standing to successfully sue the nonprofit for any damages ensued?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
In order to establish a malpractice claim against a tax preparer, you will have to establish that the tax preparer failed to meet minimum professional standards, and that you suffered damages because of this.
You will need to show a direct relationship between the tax preparer's malpractice and the damages that you suffered.
The following link contains excellent detailed information which you will find helpful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6030032_sue-tax-preparer-malpractice.html
Another alternative would be to report the tax preparer to the IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Make-a-Complaint-About-a-Tax-Return-Preparer
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.Best regards,Barb