How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15014
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am running local public office in November and would

Customer Question

I am running for a local public office in November and would like to begin accepting donations directly to a bank account. I want to be considered a section 527 tax exempt political organization and file form 8871.
Does current tax law require me to establish an EIN#?
Is there a way I can avoid the EIN and just use my personal SS#?
Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,If you want to file form 8871 you have to supply an EIN. The form requires it. A political organization must have its own employer identification number (EIN), even if it does not have any employees.Political parties; campaign committees for candidates for federal, state or local office; and political action committees are all political organizations subject to tax under IRC section 527.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
You did not respond so I am hoping that the information addressed your concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, political parties, etc. may be political organizations who are subject to tax under IRC section 527, however if the dollar flow remains under $25,000 per year in donations, they are still tax-exempt correct?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
The $25,000 is a filing requirement. Organizations that reasonably expects annual gross receipts to always be less than $25,000 remain exempt and do not have to file.