Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I prepared our 2013 tax return with Turbotax. It found no errors.

Customer Question

I prepared our 2013 tax return with Turbotax. It found no errors. Last month I received a CP2000 notice for $3737 due. How that happened, I do not know. What do I do next ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
The first thing is to look at the CP2000 and understand what the error was. Generally, you get the CP2000 because the IRS received information from a third party that doesn’t match the information you reported on your tax return.
Go to the “Changes to Your Return” section which is generally located on one of the last pages of the CP 2000. First, you will want to verify that the figures under the “Shown on Return” column match the figures on your copy of the originally filed tax return.
Next, you will want to review the “Information Reported to IRS that differs from the amounts shown on your return” section which is generally located on Page 5 of the CP 2000. Compare the form information listed here with the tax documents you received for the tax year in question (W2, 1099s...).
Complete the notice response form whether or not you agree or disagree with the notice. Contact the business or person reporting the information, if it is wrong. Ask them to correct it, and then provide the corrected information to the IRS.
Let me know if you can see the sections I said to look at on the CP2000.
If you can tell me what the "unreported income" was I can assist you further.