How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3190
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 30-year-old daughter suffered a stroke and has been disabled

Customer Question

Our 30-year-old daughter suffered a stroke and has been disabled since 12/2014. My husband and I are her legal guardians in Wisconsin. She has been hospitalized or at a brain injury rehabilitation center for all of 2015. Can we claim her as a dependent on our 2015 taxes? Can we use the money we have paid for her medical expenses during calendar year 2015 as a medical deduction?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I am sure this is a very stressful situation for your entire family.
You most certainly can claim your daughter as a dependent on your tax return and claim the medical expenses on Schedule A if you itemize. Any amount which is over 10% of your AGI will be deductible on Schedule A.
The following link contains information regarding claiming a dependent:
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
It's been my pleasure.

Related Tax Questions