Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Can I get an extension a 1041 form?

Customer Question

can I get an extension for filing a 1041 form?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!Yes - you may request such extension.Use form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension...http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f7004.pdfSee instructions for 1041 - page 8http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041.pdfExtension of Time To File.If more time is needed to file the estate or trust return, use Form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns, to apply for an automatic 5 month extension of time to file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I get a form 7004? Can I file before the 5 months is up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my Mother didn't file taxes in the past 2 or 3 years because she was exempt, do I need to file a 1040 for 2014?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
where do I get a form 7004?A.you may either file online with any e-file provider or may file by mail.The form may be downloaded from teh IRS - use following linkhttp://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f7004.pdf.Can I file before the 5 months is up?The deadline for filing Application for Automatic Extension is the due date of the tax return.So - we need to determine the due date for your 1041 . If we already missed that due date - your filing woudl be late and we may not apply for the extension.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If my Mother didn't file taxes in the past 2 or 3 years because she was exempt, do I need to file a 1040 for 2014?In general - it is recommended to file a final tax return even otherwise it is not required.However - if you mother passed away in 2014 - there woudl be same filing requirements regarding her final tax return - if her income was below certain level - filing is NOT required - but you may choose to file anyway. There would not be any penalty if there is no tax liability.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Regarding estate tax return - form 1041 - we need to verify
- the date your mother passed away - based on that we will determine the due date of the return
- if that due date is not passed - you still may file Form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension if needed
- whether you are required to file the estate tax return? That generally is based if there any taxable income received by the estate.
I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer...
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.