Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I received a letter March 27 stating that I had overpaid form

Customer Question

I received a letter March 27 stating that I had overpaid form 1040 2012 by $1481.00.I have yet to receive a check that they said would arrive 6 to 8 weeks. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you--Dorothy Smoot
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dorothy and welcome to our site!This tax season the IRS issues refund checks with larger delays...That is partially because many fraudulent tax returns and refund claims..Unfortunately that issue may not be resolved over the phone...While you will wait most likely more than a hour to speck with a live person - that person would not be able to provide much information besides what you already know.I woudl suggest to visit your local IRS office. Yes - that will be time consuming - but the alternative woudl be to have a local CPA representing you with the IRS and that might be costly..If you have tried to get your refund with the IRS, and not having the money is causing you a financial hardship, the Taxpayer Advocate Service may be able to help.Here are some locationsChicago230 S. Dearborn St. Room 2860, Stop-1005 CHI Chicago, IL 60604Phone:(###) ###-####Fax:(###) ###-####pringfield3101 Constitution Dr. Stop 1005 SPD Springfield, IL 62704Phone:(###) ###-####Fax: (855) 836-283