Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My 23 year old son graduated in March from college and will

Customer Question

My 23 year old son graduated in March from college and will be living with me for 12 months this year and I will be paying for more than half of his support. I am divorced. Can I claim him as a dependent and file head of house hold this year? He will be making more than $4,900 and will file a tax return this year.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Your son would meet the age requirement but to be considered a full-time student, he must be enrolled for the number of hours or courses the school considers to be full time and must be a student for at least five months during the year. He did not meet the 5 month requirement.That would make him a possible dependent under Relative. Under Qualifying relative he would need to make less than the personal exemption amount. The personal exemption for 2015 is $4,000.Unfortunately, no, he is not a dependent for 2015 based on the information you supplied.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
You did not respond after you read the response. Please advise if you need clarification.